Friday, February 4, 2011

Discussing the Diversity Pedagogy Theory - Sarah Lawrence, Gretchen Sutto, Dong Feng

Bio: Gretchen Sutto - I am currently in the Master’s of Education program at Michigan State University concentrating on Literacy Education and Special Education. I teach middle school Spanish in Fenton, Michigan.
Bio: Sarah Lawrence - I am also currently in the Master’s of Education program via online concentrating on Literacy Education and Post Secondary Leadership. I teach fifth grade at an American International school in Shenzhen, China.

Sarah: The main reason this article spoke to me immediately is because is was written in such a straight forward, teacher friendly matter. I don’t know about the rest of you, but as a person who is teaching full time and grappling with the “theory of the month” that my school district sends our way, I really enjoy the vignettes because they bring the theory to life and help me see how I can actually apply it to my classroom practice.
I agree with Sheets that culture and cognition are inseparable and I am pleased to see that this is being dealt with finally in academic practices. I have taught in very different, diverse settings and each time I find that the “good teaching” that worked in one setting doesn’t necessarily perfectly fit in another. When I taught in an urban setting in Phoenix, I used a lot of collaborative group work and brought music and art into the classroom as much as possible. Also, the classroom was lively and filled with debate and movement. I now use much of the same in my classroom in China, but when I started the year off with the expectation that my students would be talkative and ready to immediately share their ideas, I was wrong. It was something we had to work up to and my natural approach to teaching was not necessarily the best fit for my students. I was wondering if any of you have ever noticed this in your own teaching careers?
One part of the article that as of late has been an ongoing theme at my school is the misconceived idea that quiet classrooms equal places of learning. My students always seem to be in the midst of “organized chaos”. I tend to switch things up often so we don’t always follow the exact same schedule from day to day. Also, where assignments are concerned, I encourage a lot of discussion and movement around the room. I want students to use the bulletin boards they’ve helped to create and to use each other as collaborators in their learning.
The ongoing debate at our school is that if there is so much movement and discussion, are the kids necessarily learning. My students’ projects are reflections of fifth grade work, but it is their work. They were part of the process from the beginning to the end. However, the bulletin boards and displayed projects around the school often are teacher created and teacher directed. They look nicer and based on appearance, look as though the students have learned more but if the students had very little control in their learning and simply followed directions, how much did they actually learn? I see my students grow so much through the process of building something to demonstrate their learning. They learn to communicate with one another, especially by working through their disagreements. Sure, I could interrupt them and put them back on track immediately but how will they ever learn to effectively overcome disputes? Sometimes the end project isn’t what they or I envisioned, but usually, when the students are given more time to reflect on the process, they create something amazing with a second opportunity.
My administrator often visits my classroom and points out the “extra” discussion that takes place during lessons. It reminded me of the vignette from this piece, “Helping with Seatwork”. I know he sees this as a distraction from his perspective and that I am unable to control my class. However, I often wonder that if I do it his way- stand up and deliver a lesson with very little input from my students, if they would develop as much in their character and effective communication. I try to encourage them to practice their English as much as possible, but why should Amy suffer the inability to comprehend a math problem when a bit of translation will make it clear for her?
I feel like I’m rambling a bit. What vignettes spoke to you the most? In what ways do you feel like you are practicing the diversity theory in your own classrooms? I think what this piece best exemplifies is the idea that, to be a culturally responsive teacher, having diverse literature or posters on the walls reflecting diversity is not enough. You must incorporate this theory into every aspect of your teaching. That idea in itself is very powerful.


Gretchen - Diversity Theory is the one that “spoke” to me the most while I was reading. Culture plays such an important role in education, and the teacher needs to understand his/her audience. I did not present information in the same way when I taught high school in a mixed-culture setting as I do now in a predominantly white middle school setting. Sheets states that Diversity pedagogy “clearly recognizes the powerful, active role students play in their learning.” I remember when I was earning my teaching certificate, we had to read “The First Days of School” by Harry Wong. In the book, Wong talked about the teachers going home refreshed and the students going home tired. I thought this was backwards when I first read it. I don’t remember ever going home exhausted when I was a student. But I did remember teaching my first class for my mid-tier that I needed to take a nap after because I was so tired! Then I realized that I, the teacher, was doing all of the work. I was trying to force the information into the brains of my students. Have you ever felt like this? Like you were the ones doing all of the work while the students just took a backseat to their learning? Wong understood that this thought-process was backwards. The students should be the ones doing the work. They should not be passive in their studies, just killing time in school before it was time to go home. Instead, the should be actively learning. I have been a big fan of this ever since I really understood what it meant. Now, my classroom is full of partner work, projects to prove their understanding, and lots of conversation in the target language (for a Spanish class). Students are constantly talking in the language, writing and reading stories, and just plain communicating - all of which take a lot more work on their part than just completing a worksheet! A lot of other teachers hear that my class is louder than the others, and they think that is a bad thing. But how can I teach a language without all of the communication? I call my classroom “Controlled Chaos,” and it works well. What kinds of activities do you use in your classroom to have the students be active as opposed to passive in their education? The example of the non-Spanish speaking teacher and Pedro really struck a chord with me. This year, I have a seventh grade student from Iran who speaks Farces. She is struggling to learn English and Spanish at the same time, which is no easy task. While the other students understand what a “cat” is, they have a visual in their heads and can easily understand that in Spanish, a cat is “gato.” Well, this student does not know what the word “cat” is, so “gato” has no meaning to her. The other students in my class have really taken this student under their wings by looking through magazines and on the Internet to make picture cards for her. So now she can visually see what a cat looks like, and the word “gato” has meaning to her. The students understand that there is a Language Learning Barrier, and they have taken it upon themselves to make sure that she feels safe and important in the classroom. Do you have any experiences like this? Did any of the examples or vignettes strike a similar chord with you? Diversity Theory is so important to teachers. We must remember our audience and teach to it. Each age and culture group has its own identity. If we don’t recognize this, we will be doing all the work while students take a backseat to their education.

Sarah - What kinds of activities do you use in your classroom to have the students be active as opposed to passive in their education? This is one of my favorite questions in education. This year I am “The Team” as the only fifth grade teacher, and I miss the collaboration that happens with learning teams. I have spent the last three years focusing on strategies that help second language learners comprehend academic content. First, I am constantly using the obvious: visuals, video clips, music, and acting out. I also use a lot of sentence starters to help students frame their responses. Often this tiny step makes a big difference for the kids who aren’t sure where to begin to demonstrate what they’ve learned. I’ve also started a study buddy group in the classroom. Everyone has a partner and their job after learning the material themselves is to ensure that their partner equally understands it. This has been such an asset in the classroom because the children have begun to be concerned not only with personal gain but gains within the whole classroom. Even though our classroom is English only, I still encourage interpreting because most of my students, like your student from Iran, are learning English as a third language. Student have collaborated on every science unit to create a Mandarin/English glossary that they will be adding to moodle for next year’s fifth graders. One other activity that has helped immensely with active learning is our “Great Walls of Learning”. Throughout the year a group of three students is assigned to a wall for each content area. They decorate the bulletin boards, choose the projects they want to display, create the word wall and create a concept map that demonstrates the “Big Ideas”. The kids have really taken this project in and have ownership for it. Also, it’s build community in the room because the kids see the classroom as their own. They love showing guests “Their Wall” and they do an excellent job because they are allowed to use the walls during all quizzes, projects, etc. What do you do to promote active learning?

Dong - Hi, Sarah, I totally understand your situation in China, because I am also experiencing the different culture/idea about education here in the States. In China, educators always think we need to give the students knowledge, just like filling up a container. The much you give them, the more they should get. However, in the States, it is the opposite way. Students are always encouraged to think and share their own idea about a topic/problem. At the beginning of my teaching here, I was always frustrated that the students were always talking during my teaching. I was unhappy, feeling being unexpected. Later on, I found that they were talking about something more or less related to the language points or cultural phenomena we were learning. Sometimes, through their discussion, they get a very good way to remember a Chinese character, like a funny story, etc. I want to say that don’t be frustrated, and keep doing what your are doing. I really like your example of the student learning math through English. It is like an immersion program. We also have this kind of Chinese program in my school districts here. I know how fantastic it is.

Hi, Gretchen, i love your example of the girl from Iran in your class learning the word “cat” in Spanish. I am also teaching a foreign language here in the U.S., and I had the same feeling as you. However, the difference between our teaching is that your target language has more context here in the States (a lot of people speak Spanish), but my target language does not. So, it is especially important, for me to create a Chinese speaking environment in my classroom. The culture plays a very important role here.

Dong Feng - This article really works for me as a Mandarin teacher in a different country. The Diversity Pedagogy Theory links culture, cognition and schooling together, which is especially important in my class. First, it is very important to know the diversity of your students, which was a big challenge for me since we usually do not do in China. In China teachers always teaching all the students using the same strategy, and follow the same national curriculum traditionally. Traditionally educators think there are certain amount of knowledge that the students need to know, so they always give the students the knowledge, just like filling a container. Although we are actually making changes in our education, I still got a big shock when I first arrived here and teach in an American school. The students are culturally much more diverse that students in China, since there are a huge amount of immigrants in the States. Also, students’ learning styles are very different. Above all, I was really struggling at the first year of my teaching, and gradually, I get used to it. Second, learning Chinese here is very difficult for the students, because it is totally different language and there is no such a context for them to use/practice the target language outside my classroom. In this way, the culture plays an very important part. For example, when I explain the character for GOOD in Chinese, which has two parts, a symbol for female, and a symbol for son, I need to explain the traditional culture in ancient China. At that time, people always do agriculture and males played a very important role since they are stronger than women. So in ancient time, people prefer to have a son than a daughter because they think the son can help doing agriculture more than a daughter. (Just in ancient China, not modern time) When our ancestors created the characters for GOOD, they put FEMALE and SON together, meaning when a lady has a son, it is very GOOD. Another aspect for culture diversity in Chinese language class is that there is no such a context that the students can practice their language, so cultural experience like field trip to a Chinese restaurant shows great importance. Also, activities like calligraphy writing helps a lot for them to practice Chinese characters. Above all, I think this article really helped me, and I enjoyed it.

Gretchen - Dong - Thanks for sharing a bit about Chinese symbols and how you go about teaching it. I love languages and have always been curious as to how you would go about introducing symbols to students who have not had previous experience with them. It makes perfect sense to me now that two (or more?) symbols ar put together to make one word. Very cool!

12 comments:

  1. Sarah: In regards to your question about having to change the approach you use in the classroom, I have to say I have definitely noticed that! I work in Special Education and I notice that not one way of teaching will necessarily work for all students. I have learned that I can go into a teaching situation with an "outline" of what I want to teach and a few ideas, but that I also have to be flexible and adapt what I'm teaching based on the way my students react. I think this is one of the biggest things I learn from students: how to be flexible in the ways I teach material but to still get my message across. I also agree with the point that you must embrace the diversity theory in all aspects of your teaching and not just in posters or pictures. Vignettes like the ones in the article are most beneficial to me too. It's always good to see examples of how to implement strategies in your work.

    Gretchen: Thank you for sharing that perspective about "teachers going home refreshed and students going home tired." I had never thought about education that way and it makes sense! I sometimes feel that I am doing the majority of the work with my students and I realize I should be sharing some of the responsibility with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing everyone! Gretchen, I too have heard this idea of teachers going home refreshed while students go home tired. As we talked about in our engaged pedagogy piece, the students are really there to do the learning and being active participants. That is not to say the teacher is not involved (and in fact, the teacher should also be taking a part in this active learning), but the teacher should be more or less guiding or questioning students to probe for deeper thinking. In fitting in with diversity pedagogy, I believe that the more engaged a student is, the more diverse learning needs will be met. For example, a student who is fully engaged with learning may be doing a science lab while really thinking about what is happening and taking notes of their observation. While the focus of engaged pedagogy is not only hands on but "minds on" as well, I think this ties in with suiting a variety of different learners through the use of engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah:
    Thank you very much for your sharing. I teach Chinese language and culture to 3rd-5th grade students. It is an enrichment program in my school so there is not lots of curriculum pressure on me. However, I always give my students high expectations, I want them to learn a lot and to grow into a person who has curiosity, wide field of view and willings to accept other cultures. Therefore, I explore my students in Chinese culture and hope that they learn something everyday. To help student develop their thoughts, we discuss a lot.
    However, I often my students' discussion stray from the main point. For example, when we talk about celebrating Chinese New Year, and CHinese people eat dumplings. They like to put a coin in a selected few and when people eat a dumpling that contains a coin, they will be considered "lucky" in the coming year. When I ask my students to think about this activity, how do they feel about this, and if they can similar customs in their countries? One thing led to another, they started to ask me what if people swallow the coin. This question is not inapproperiate, so I answered "I guess you ll have to go to the hospital then." And then, our discussion are all about swallowing the coin.
    Things like this happen alot in my class. I don't want to a teacher that controls students on what to think and what to ask, and I want to encourage my students to think differently. However, I am wondering how to keep their thinking meaningful?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because mandated standards are significant in number and our own education was less than sufficient, one might find it difficult to recognize how cultural representation can be transformed into a curriculum dominated by Western/Anglo Saxon Heritage. Doing so also requires significant effort on the teacher’s part. Teachers are left responsible for educating oneself of a significant body of knowledge that requires tireless effort. Although I am still unsure how I can do my part as a kindergarten teacher in creating curriculum and environment that will enhance each child’s view and knowledge of diversity without creating stereotypes, the realization of it’s importance has become a harsh reality.
    Unfortunately, previous to this assignment I fell into the category of educators who believe that a student’s success depends on individual merit. However, I do not take full responsibility for this ignorant mindset. One cannot understand what one does not know. For this reason, it is important for educators to educate students about their history and how to overcome historically deepened barriers. It is equally important for educators to seek knowledge that will allow all students to achieve and view one’s self as a high achiever. As stated on the first page of the article, “DPT views the natural connectedness of culture and cognition as key to incorporating multiple factors of diversity in the teaching-learning process” (p. 1). Curriculum based upon the knowledge of students’ lives emphasizes that students are contributors rather than an empty vessel as described by the banking model. By ignoring the knowledge about student life, an educator might make wrong assumptions or teach stereotypes. I also agree that, “You will become consciously aware whether your teaching decisions simultaneously benefit some children while disadvantaging others” (p. 1). A short story I have shared, but will remind you of, occurred last year in my kindergarten classroom. Coming from a small, rural area, cultural diversity is slim. However, I had one Chinese child and one African American child; both in which were adopted into White American families before the age of one. As a kindergarten teacher I thought I was doing a service for my two culturally diverse students by celebrating Martin Luther King Jr. and Chinese New Year. After our readings from a couple weeks ago, I realized this was most basic approach (contributions approach) to including student identities into a curriculum. I do not have any culturally diverse students this year. However, in reflecting upon last year, I should have met with the students and their families to consider the knowledge they brought to school and identified how that would enhance the curriculum for all individuals in our classroom. This could have been conducted like an interview or as a home visit. Does anyone have other ideas for such young children in creating meaningful curriculum that truly uses the many facets of diversity and promotes deeper cognitive development?
    To comment on much of the previous discussion, I could not imagine teaching in a classroom in which the students were not involved in the learning process. Student created walls, learning tools, and group work are a must in my kindergarten classroom for so many reasons. Not only are they learning communication and social skils, but they are also learning to understand each other. This is so important when we begin to develop from egocentric beings to more open-minded individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, when I read about your teaching experiences, I couldn't help smiling, because it sounds exactly like what I've been gone through as a student. The teacher-centered teaching in China has such a long history (since Confucius, about 2500 years ago). I don't even know how we would change the "custom". I still remember when I was in college, we had two English teachers Holy from England and Julia from United States. Both of them asked us what kind of topics or activities we would like to learn, but few people could tell them. Every time they tried to start something lively, it ended up with silence. I could imagine how they felt even at that time, but there was nothing I could do to persuade myself to get engaged. I think it's mostly because of culture, and partly because of the language.
    Things have been changed for me.
    I am a teacher now, from the Chinese culture but teaching such a different group of children. My feelings must be opposite to Holy and Julia's. I am trying to force myself adapt to the new culture. It's so hard, but I cannot give up. I know it would be even harder to make them the "noisy" people "quiet" than to make the "quiet" people "noisy".
    Probably the Chinese way is not good, but the students are already used to it. They might learn better in that way. Why didn't you try to cater to their needs?
    I can tell your efforts worked very well. I love your activities too. But I'm really interested in what you were thinking then.
    Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gretchen, I would love to read the Harry Wong's book after reading you post. I felt exactly the same way with you. I don't have any children, the only person I need to take care of is me, thank goodness!!! I totally agree with you that I used to feel like I was doing everything. I still feel that way sometimes now.
    As a Chinese immersion classroom teacher, I have to double the amount of speaking other teachers do, loudly and clearly because of the language input.
    I'd like to have them do activities in groups, but it's just hard to assure them to talk in the target language. Do you have any idea on that?
    We really need to talk about teaching because of the similar positions we have:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ji An,

    Thanks for your response. I think in some ways I have "catered" the lessons to my students more than I did my first year. One thing I've found works well for my students is if they have the opportunity to first write out their thoughts on a particular subject. Because they are working in a second language, they feel more comfortable sharing and discussing if they've worked out a few key vocabulary words they can use.

    I am interested in what you wrote about Holly and Julia. You said that it was difficult to persuade yourself to get engaged. If you could think back to that particular time, do you think it was out of fear of saying something incorrectly, shyness or something else? I'm always trying to figure out what emotional responses trigger my students' interactions on a daily basis. It's interesting because often times they will even say that the words they're searching for to describe the way they feel can't even be translated properly in English. Have you ever felt this way?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, Chinese are afraid of making mistakes. I'm not like that any more because the settings around me are so much different. Why would I care others don't?
    Also, we haven't been exposed to various of teaching strategies. When Holy and Julia brought up new ways, I just didn't think I could follow up, or contribute anything.
    As a Chinese student, I was very good at taking English tests, but it was very hard for me to speak fluent English. Even when I first got here, I knew what I was about to say, but the words or sentence patterns just stocked there without coming out:( It took me a quite a while to get used to it. English and Chinese belong to so different language systems, what the students need is practice. It's great that you figured a way to have them get ready for speaking by writing first. As long as they get more and gain more confidence, I'm sure they'll talk more:)

    I don't know why Chinese people have so many kinds of feelings either!I sometimes feel that way too. But now I know that you can always find a way to say it, although the listeners still don't get it when I do so. Haha, it happens, relax!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ji An,

    Thanks again for sharing such personal insight. I know that one person can't generalize a culture but learning about your interactions with your teachers really helps me to think through how I approach activities in my own classroom. It sounds as if you have done a lot of searching in your life and that is truly amazing. As for speaking fluently, I believe that tends to be an issue for many speakers of other languages. I remember learning Spanish and being able to ace tests, yet if I needed to speak on a particular issue, I could barely string together a sentence. I guess that is something for us all to keep in mind as teachers and significantly relates to this article. We should also keep in mind what we intend to teach and then match our practice so that it is culturally relevant and brings all of our students on board. Ji An, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What interesting thoughts/ questions! I recall as a student, I could completely tell the difference in classes where the teacher/ professor put the responsibility for learning on us, the students. It was rare and there was a pronounced difference. It meant getting out of my comfort zone, moving around the room, speaking in class when I might not normally do so, discussing with classmates, it meant “revealing my hand”. Although, at the time it was out of my comfort zone and I didn’t like it, looking back I can see the difference in which classes I actually remember the material from!
    As a teacher, I can understand now why this is so rarely done (or was in my school experience)—it means giving up some control on the part of the teacher. If the teacher just “pours out knowledge” or presents all the material and makes it the students’ responsibility to soak it in, the teacher doesn’t’ have to take responsibility. He or she can put the burden for learning on the students, saying it is their “fault” if they misunderstand something. However, if the students are constructing the knowledge, discussing, moving around, etc. the teacher is then responsible for more: 1.) more behavior to manage 2.) voiced misinformation or misinterpretations that the teacher is responsible for correcting 3.) learning about the students and how to best present material in the first place so that students will connect with it 4.) that students, who are supposed to be discussing course material, will be off topic (it’s a challenge to monitor a dozen or more conversations all at once!). It can be rather scary to loose control in this way; allowing students to form their own conclusions and risk they may form separate opinions or different answers. However, it is far more beneficial for the student!
    I think at the other end of the spectrum from not giving students enough voice however, is giving students too much to do on their own without enough guidance or support. For example, assigning students huge projects to do at home. Some friends of mine have experienced this frustration with their children’s teachers who ask the students to write reports or create projects entirely at home (thus either forcing the parents to step-in and teach their children at home or the child to do poorly on the project if he or she completes it alone). I think this is an attempt, by the teacher, to put the responsibility on the student, but it really only winds-up being shifted to the parent.
    It's so important to strike this perfect balance in our teaching. Students should feel challenged, but appropriately so. They should feel the compulsion to "step up to the plate" in their learning, but not so overwhelmed and frustrated that they want to give-up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ashley,

    big question you have here...wow. i think there are a couple of things you can do to incorporate diversity into a seemingly not diverse school district. one-is to realize that although they may all be white-there is diversity within that. Class, experience, family life, interests, etc all add elements of diversity. two-what do you have on your book shelves and what kinds of stories are you telling your kids. This is REALLY important. you can introduce your kids to a whole other world through literature (i can suggest some books, if you like). and they can find connections with their own lives through these texts. three-i like that you told the story about celebrating MLK day and Chinese New Year. I think that this is one of those things that has become really problematic with education. We have 'months' that are dedicated to different races, nationalities, etc. why are they not just a part of the every day curriculum? why do we need to wait until February to read books by and about African Americans? and why is it always the same stories we tell. Rosa Parks, MLK, etc. there are SO many stories out there that we aren't telling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. such great stuff here...thank you for all of your personal stories and deep connections to DPT. and the questions you raised are so thought provoking. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete